How Self-Aware Are You? – A Predictor of Success
What is self-awareness? The dictionary defines self-awareness as “knowledge and awareness of your own personality or character.” When you’re self-aware, you have an accurate and clear understanding of your personality, strengths, weaknesses, and beliefs. You know what makes you tick. Self-awareness also includes an understanding of how others perceive you.
On the other hand lacking self-awareness can lead to a very confusing and frustrating life! I know that there are times I have wanted to bury my head in the sand and not think or feel. I have even gotten caught up in addictive behaviours, such stuffing my feelings with food, or binge watching Netflix to an extent where I realized that I was going overboard.
While we all need to take a break and breather from life at times, when we are avoiding our feelings, and our problems, or not facing our responsibilities, we are not being very self-aware. We then suffer the natural consequences of these behaviours.
Your level of self-awareness can influence your relationships, career, and happiness.
The benefits of being self-aware are:
- Helps you take control of your life. The direction of your life is determined by your thoughts, beliefs, emotions, and reactions. Self-awareness is the principle way of understanding and influencing these things.
- Self-awareness highlights faulty beliefs and emotional reactions that stand in your way and gives you the power to make adjustments.
- It illuminates the real reasons for past failures and challenges. We often dismiss our failures as bad luck or a lack of proper timing. But it’s also possible that we failed to perceive the situation, others, or ourselves accurately. It’s much easier to see the reason behind relationship, work, and other struggles when we can look at ourselves clearly.
- Do you consistently struggle at work or in your relationships? What can you do better?
- Those who lack self-awareness are puzzled by their negative outcomes or blame others exclusivel
- It is a critical quality for leaders. One study concluded that a high degree of self-awareness was the best predictor of success for executives.
- Executives that have an understanding of their weaknesses are able to build a team composed of members that fill those weaknesses.
- A lack of self-awareness puts a limit on your leadership abilities.
- It is the foundation for personal progress. Without it, any personal development efforts will be severely hampered.
- Self-awareness is the cornerstone of success and self-improvement. Without self-awareness, the knowledge you possess can’t be applied effectively. It’s necessary to understand your beliefs, habits, strengths, and weaknesses to make a personal change. Avoid assuming that you’re self-aware. Give it some time and thought.
Building greater self-awareness won’t happen overnight, but it can be developed. You can start building your self-awareness, and reaping the benefits, starting today!
Read the next blog to find out 10 ways to develop your self-awareness.